STARTING THE CONVERSATION
Breaking the silence about racism, personal responsibility, and the Christian response.
For a long time, the Christian church’s response to racism has been timid, scattered and inadequate. God calls us to stand up -- strongly and consistently -- against injustice.
“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8)
As Christians, it is time for us to become strong allies for members of the black community, allies who listen, reflect and are empowered to enact change. I encourage you to join us in taking 2 steps.
1. Read, learn, reflect.
2. Start the conversation.
At the bottom of this post, you will find a list of resources to explore over the next week. The following items are a starting point for our reflection and dialogue. They are not meant to be expert opinions. You may disagree with some of the ideas suggested. These are simply intended to be a resource as we each wrestle with the topic of racism, our roles within that, and how we can be God’s Church in today’s society. It’s time for the Church to intentionally step up.
Then, I invite you to join in the conversation. I (Pastor Jeff) will be hosting two, 45 minute zoom calls that will allow you and others space to have dialogue around this topic. Bring your insights, questions, reflections, and a prayerful spirit as we journey together.
- Thursday, June 11th, 8:00pm-8:45pm
- Friday, June 12th, 12:00pm-12:45pm
- Zoom links will be available via facebook, our website, and email.
Let’s start the conversation.
- FRIDAY, JUNE 5, to the Madison365 Facebook Page for a day of speakers and presenters addressing racial issues.
- TUESDAY, JUNE 9th, 11:00-11:45am, to the Church's Facebook page or website for a special 2*22sday (Note time change). “A Conversation of Race, Privilege, and Action” will be hosted by Pastor Jeff and fellow LCMS pastor, Gregory Manning.
WATCH: Choose a video(s) from below to watch. Links are included in each title.
START THE CONVERSATION:
- Talk to your family and friends about what you are reading, watching, and hearing. Invite them to read/watch/listen to those things as well.
- Join the Church, via a zoom video call, at 8pm on Thursday, June 11 and/or Friday, June 12 at noon to talk about what you are learning, processing, and reflecting on.
I would love to hear your insights, questions, and struggles. Send me an email at email@example.com.