|What a beautiful place God has placed us in this week! Yesterday, 12 students and 6 adults from the Church arrived in Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. We will be spending the week being the hands and feet of Jesus and getting to know the people of Pine Ridge. Monday was our first work day - and it was hot!! However, the students worked hard, kept a great attitude, and were a joy to be around. We also got to visit the Wounded Knee Massacre Site, learn more about what happened, and meet some really need people who helped us understand life on the reservation a little bit better. |
Our work projects include:
- working on a bathroom addition for George Afraid of Bears - including the siding on the outside of the house.
- building bunk beds to distribute to families in the community who need beds
- work at Susan's house - including dry wall, replacing a ceiling, reinforcing some roofing, and adding a hand rail
Today Matt and Emily's team worked at Miss Susan's house. While there, Susan took a fall down her steps as she tried to go outside to leave for an appointment. Susan is an older woman and uses a cane to get around. Praise God we were there to help her!! While we were sitting with her, we found out that not only is she not able to get in and out of her home, but she hasn't had running water since February due to a cracked roof and broken pipes. What a blessing it is that there are groups like Next Step that are in a position to help meet some of Susan's basic needs! And what a privilege that we get to come alongside, for even just a short period of time, to make a tangible difference in Susan's life.
The pictures you see include:
- The site we are staying at, including the building the boys are sleeping in.
- Susan's house and the students working
- Walking up to the cemetery at the Wounded Knee Massacre Memorial
We would love your prayers this week! Internet and cell reception is spotty but I will update as often as I can. If you want to learn more, google Pine Ridge Reservation or Oglala Lakota Sioux.